Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Curry Sweet Potato Soup

Fair warning: there may be an awful lot of soup recipes this Autumn and Winter.

Maybe it's the weather or my mood.  I just want a bowl of comfort food every evening for dinner or every afternoon for lunch--much to my husband's chagrin.  He doesn't feel like he's had a meal unless it involves a good bit of chewing.  Therefore soups are not necessarily his favorite.  

So, I'll throw in a few stews and chunky soups to make him happy.  

Today I got a late start on dinner, however--didn't actually think of what I was making until almost 5pm.  I don't recommend putting off your dinner plans so late--especially if you have little children who come into the kitchen looking pathetic saying, "What's for dinner? I'm so hungry."  And then they say, "Can I eat this?" taking a pizza crust off a used plate that a child at co-op today left on the counter.  Mama, you'd better think fast.

This came together so quickly; soul and palate satisfying.  Curry Sweet Potato Soup, served up with apples and buttery toast.  It tasted like Autumn.

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.
--George Eliot





3 pounds sweet potatoes
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stick of butter
1 quart chicken broth
1 can evaporated milk
salt and black pepper to taste
1-2 teaspoons curry powder or your favorite curry paste
a pinch of cayenne pepper

Bake sweet potatoes until soft.  Let cool briefly (or plow ahead like I did, risking injury. Just depends on how much time you have).  Squeeze the potato flesh out of their skins.  Discard skins.  Set potato mash aside.

In a large pot melt butter.  Saute onion and garlic until golden and soft.

Add the sweet potatoes and broth.

With an immersion blender process in the pot until almost smooth.  (I like the leave a bit of texture.)

Add curry and salt and peppers.

Simmer for 10-15 minutes, letting flavors blend.  Add the evaporated milk and heat through.

Serve up immediately, garnished with apple slices.


No comments: